Monday, October 3, 2011

Recipe time!!! Cuban Ropa Vieja

Okay....I'm usually pretty good about taking pictures of my recipes....but this week Shooter is working late so it was me and a hungry toddler to feed....so the camera got pushed aside.  But here's a good representation of what the delicousness looked like:



This is a really great, tasty recipe that simmers away in the slow cooker all day and waits for you to come home and eat it up!

Cuban Ropa Vieja
1.5 pounds flank steak
1.5 cups beef broth
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 oz tomato paste
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
chopped cilantro

In your slow cooker, mix together the beef broth, vinegar, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onions, cumin, garlic powder and olive oil until well mixed.  Place the flank steak in the mixture and submerge.  Cook on low for 8 hours. 

NOTE:  Flank steak can be added frozen, I did that and it turned out fine.  When I got home, I had a lot of thin sauce so I took out the meat and poured the sauce out into a pot and boiled it for about 15 min until reduced and good bit.  I then added in a corn starch slurry to thicken a little more (1 tablespoon corn starch with enough water to dissolve).  I then added back the shredded meat and a decent handful of cilantro.  I served with shredded cheese, tortillas sour cream and more cilantro.  I am on the South Beach diet so no rice for me, but it would be delicious with some rice to soak up the delicious sauce.

No comments: